Mungaru Maleye (Mungaru Male) Lyrics Translation/ Meaning

One of the best songs of the recent years from the movie that made waves as being the biggest hit in Kannada film history... Lyrics penned by the director himself and shot in the picturesque Coorg in flowing rain, and with Sonu Nigam's voice giving it a magical touch, this surely is a thralling song... Translation/ Explanation/ Meaning by Nithin Neelakanta & Vikas SS

Mungaru Maleye..
(Oh the first Monsoon Rain..)
Yenu ninna Hanigala Leele
(What the magic have your drops done?)

1. Ninna Mugila Saale, Dhareya Korala Premada Maale
(The line you’ve made in the sky, is like the necklace of love to this earth)
Suriva Olumeya Jadimalege, Preeti Moodide
(With the flowing feeling of non-stop rain, Love has bloomed)
Yaava Chippinalli, Yaava Haniyu Muttaguvudo
(In which clamshell, you never know which drop will turn into a pearl)
Olavu Yelli Kudiyodiyuvudo, Tiliyadagide
(Where the bud of love can blossom, has gone beyond my comprehension)

Mungaru Maleye..
(Oh the first Monsoon Rain..)
Yenu ninna Hanigala Leele
(What the magic have your drops done?)

2. Bhuvi Kenne Tumba, Mugilu Surida Muttina Gurutu
(The cheeks of earth are filled with marks of pearl-like raindrops the sky showered)
Nanna Yedeya Tumba, Avalu Banda Hejjeya Gurutu
(My heart is full of, the footsteps of her arrival)
Hejje Gejjeyaa Savi Saddu, Premanadavoo
(The sweet sound of her anklets, the tune of love)
Yede Mugilinalli, Rangu challi Nintalu Avalu
(In the sky of my heart, she sprinkled color and just stood there)
Baredu Hesara Kamanabillu, Yenu Modeyoo
(Her name written like a rainbow, ah what a spell)

Mungaru Maleye..
(Oh the first Monsoon Rain..)
Yenu ninna Hanigala Leele
(What the magic have your drops done?)

3. Yava Hanigalinda, Yava Nelavu Hasiraguvudo
(Of which raindrops, which land may turn green)
Yaara Sparshadindaa, Yara Manavu Hasiyaguvudo..
(Of whose touch, whose soul be readied for seeds of love to be sown)
Yara Usirali Yara Hesaru Yaru Baredaro
(In whose breath, whose name is written by whom)
Yava Preeti Huvu, Yara Hrudayadallararluvudo
(Which flower of love, would blossom in whose heart)
Yaara Prema Poojege Mudipo, Yaru Balloro
(Whose love is worthy of worship, who can fathom?)

Mungaru Maleye..
(Oh the first Monsoon Rain..)
Yenu ninna Hanigala Leele
(What the magic have your drops done?)

4. Olava Chandamama Naguta Banda Manadangalake
(The lovely moon came smiling to my mind’s front porch)
Preeti Belakinalli, Hrudaya Horatide Meravanige
(Lit by the light of love, my heart started off on a procession)
Avala Premadaoorina Kadege, Preeti Payanavoo
(Towards her city of love, the journey of love)
Pranayadoorinalli, Kaledu Hogo Sukhava Indu
(In this fever city of love, for now, go away happiness)
Dhanyanaade Padedukondu Hosa Janmavoo
(I’m grateful to have gotten this new birth)

Mungaru Maleye..
(Oh the first Monsoon Rain..)
Yenu ninna Hanigala Leele
(What the magic have your drops done?)

Comments

Renuka Raj said…
Though a non kannadiga, this and the other songs just bowled me over. And I just wanted to sing along. Hence the search for the lyrics and me landing on your blog. Many thanks for the translation of the song
Vikas SS said…
@ Online Obelix: I'm glad you liked the song.. In fact it has such lovely lyrics that I wanted more netizens to read about this... Whether you know Kannada or not, Music has no barriers! Enjoy!!
Vamsi said…
Thank you Vikas! I am all impressed by the song and the lyrics! :)
विशाल said…
The truly awesome translation

Very useful for a new- kanndiga like me

Nuraru dhanyawaadgalu
Vikas SS said…
@ Vamsi: That's exactly the reason why I'm a fan of the song.. the movie is lovely too...

@ Vishal: Am really glad you liked the translation... Thanks!!
Anonymous said…
Hi Thank you for translating the song, I loved the lyrics and am a fan of Sonu Nigam, its like a treat. I never tried 'googling' on meaning of the song. Could you please translate 'Enaagali munde saagu ne' and 'Ninna nodalentho' from 'Mussanje Maathu' Thank you!
Anonymous said…
Wonderful. Thanks a lot guys. Its amazing. Although kannada is not my mother tongue, I was just wondering whether Sonu had any 'pronunciation' difficulties with any of the poetic words ?

I can enjoy a song completely only when I understand the lyrics. Thanks for helping me!!
Unknown said…
Vikas could you please translate the song Araluthiru jeevada gealaya from the movie Mungaru Male please...I would be ever grateful..Joy
Vikas SS said…
@ Anonymous1: Thanks for your comment. I havent seen the movie Mussanje Maatu. If I can get to hear that song, I shall surely try translating :)

@ Anonymous2: As far as I can fathom, his pronounciation was amazingly impeccable. Yup, you're right that knowing the meaning helps appreciate a song better. Thanks for ur comment :)

@ Joy: Well, the translation was done by my friend and I jointly. I shall be meeting him next month. Maybe, then, I'll try translating that song. Thanks for ur comment :)
BlueDeserts said…
thanks for the lyrics...since i donot understand the language...this really helped
harsha bangalore said…
thumba dhanyavadagallu.. nanu kannidigaa.. alpa swalpa english baruthe.. thumba friends tamilnadu,telugu avru translation kelidru.. nange ee range translate madokke agdhe pardhida tha idhe..
Anonymous said…
Thumba Danyavad Gallu, Though My Mother Tongue is not Kannada, But This has become a second mother tongue to me. I like several Kannada songs but Hard to understand fully.
Thumba Danyavad Gallu inu one saari
Vikas SS said…
@ BlueDeserts: Thanks for dropping by... Glad to know that it helped..

@ harsha bangalore: bhaashe baradavaru kooda ee adnuvaadadinda haadannu innu jaasti enjoy maadtaaiddare anta keli tumba santhosha aayithu... :)

@ Anonymous: Really glad to know that it helped... Thanks for dropping by...
Anonymous said…
Hey Vikas, just can't tell you what a great job you have done... I'm Bengali but i liked the song a lot and was looking for the exact lyrical meaning... Thanks a lot...
Vikas SS said…
@ Chandrachur: Thanks for the comment... I'm glad to know that my blog post helped.. Cheers!!
Anonymous said…
Hey Vikas, I would be bothering you for one more thing if you don't mind... In the movie Mumgaru Maleye there is a sequence in which Ganesh in completely drunk and is wandering around in the streets where Sanjana finds her...If you could please translate that sequence in English for me that would be really great...
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
i want translations of Anisuthide yako indu and Araluthiru jivada gelaya in english or hindi..plzz do it 4 me... plzzz
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said…
Hey Vikas,
Thanks again for the Mungaru Malaye lyric and the meaning, now I can also sing along with the song and enjoy it more. Just wanted to have one more help, if you speak Marathi as well then could you please try and translate the meaning of the song Nastes Ghari Tu Jevha, & Damalelya Babachi hi Kahani by Salil Kulkarni. Recently I've heard these songs and they are great but was unable to enjoy it full due to the meaning.If you could please....
Vikas SS said…
@ Chandrachur

I'm so sorry, I dont speak the language and hence, I wont be able to translate those songs that want... If it were Kannada, I'd have surely attempted.. Cheers!
Anonymous said…
No Issues, its fine...I thought that you being in Mumbai may know the language...anyways, thanks a lot for Mungaru Malaye
Vikas SS said…
@ Chandrachur

Cool.. I've been here for a few years, but couldnt pick up the language coz people around me hardly speak it. Learning a new language is generally fun...
Vikas SS said…
@ Anonymous on Feb 10, 2010

The translation for "Anisutide" is already on my blog... Do see it under the archives... And, "Aralutiru", I shall definitely try... Cheers!!
Vikas SS said…
Folks... Another song from Mungaru Male "Aralutiru jeevada geleya" now translated into English. Check out the March 2010 post list... Cheers!
almas.nazeer said…
This comment has been removed by the author.
Vikas SS said…
@Almas.nazeer

Great, your man has chosen a very apt song.. All the best to u folks!!... & thanks for the comment!
Sasikumar R said…
This song is so awesome..I am new to Kannada..but I loved the music and the way Sonu sung this song..He really conveyed the magic of rain and love through this song..Thanks a lot for posting the translation..The song has become more beautiful and dear to me now.. Great job.. :-)

Sasi
Unknown said…
hey thankx guys..even i dont know kannada..but this is an awsome song...thanks a lot...
Unknown said…
Thank you so much Vikas... I need translation for another Kannada song. Please contact me if you are willing to do it.

Thanks a tonn...
Pragya
Unknown said…
someone sent me this song and I didnt knw the meaning... I am so thankful to you for providing the translation of the song...

Please translate the song in the following link as well for me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5oUSphxJO1Y

Thanks a tonn in advanceee...
superb song i like this more ..... telugu and kannada two languages i heard this song it was awasome
Anonymous said…
thanx for lyrics
Ram said…
I am a tamil.. and able to relate many of these lyrics translation..

I become a huge fan on such kind of high quality stuff..

Thanks for your translations which helped me to understand this better.
Vikas SS said…
@Ram
Thanks for your comment.. I'm glad that the translation helped you to appreciate the song better.. Cheers!!
Unknown said…
wow what a magical song it just blew me up, i never knew the lyrics are such beautiful, thanks for translating sir..
Unknown said…
wow what a magical song it just blew me up, i never knew the lyrics are such beautiful, thanks for translating sir..
Dinesh said…
Your translation to this song was very nice, Thanks for sharing this masterpiece.